Monday, September 18, 2006

EUREKA....I Got IT...and other things!

Tonni so very graciously offered to teach me how to knit socks on circular needles awhile back and we were finally able to get together over the weekend! I took my camera but never pulled it out of my bag.....I was so excited I forgot!!! One reason I was so excited was because Tonni gave me these!!! Aren't they great???



My very own sock bags....and not just any sock bag ....but made by Tonni herself!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them both!!!!!

Tonni's daughter was celebrating her 15th birthday with a spend the night party the night I went for my lesson! All the girls came dressed as their favorite movie character.....everyone looked GREAT!! All such cute, sweet girls!! I got such a kick out of listening to them singing "oldies" at the top of their lungs.....(Oldies being the music of MY youth...UGH!!)

I also got to meet Tonni's husband who couldn't have been nicer and I am sure would have enjoyed the ballgames better if he hadn't been stuck in the bedroom having given up the LR to Tonni and I to knit! Last but not least....the fur children some of which I was able to pet and some who were not quite sure about me.....but there's always next time! LOL!!!

It took me several attempts but I FINALLY got the hang of the long tail cast on AND the circular knitting!! (Which I am now a huge fan of!!) I had so much trouble with having the cast on top of my socks not being neat and could NOT figure out why....they were "rippled" and loose looking when I was using the DPN!!! Don't have to worry about that anymore!!! The long tail cast on took care of it!! Be hard pressed to use DPN again for socks......EVER.....hmmmm wonder what I can use the DPN for now????



Tonni could not have been a better teacher or hostess....she made me feel like I was right at home and I am already looking forward to the next time we get together to knit! (I guess here would be an appropriate place to thank Emily once again, for creating a database for all the Alabama Knitters.....which is how I initially met Tonni). I would have never in a million years had the opportunity to meet and get to know Tonni, Ginger and all the other girls if it weren't for Emily and I feel like I have made some lifelong friends......some I have met in person, some I will be meeting in person when time allows!!

Going to be a crazy week, little to no time to knit.....boo hoo....I feel like a kid with a new toy now that I know this new way of making socks and I am so anxious to have the time to sit and knit!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Darlene! I am proud of you. I knit mittens and sleeves on circs, too. I try to avoid dpns!

Diane said...

Congrats on learning a new thing! Tonni did a lovely job on the sock bags. So pretty. I hope things settle a bit during the week so you can get in some quality knitting time.

Anonymous said...

Wow , I am so impressed that you have mastered socks on circulars! The sock bags are too cute and now you can have 2 pairs going at once.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so excited for you!!!!!! I knew we'd hook you on knitting socks! And now you are armed with all kinds of good know-how, and sock bags, and hmmm oh yeah sock blockers too (soon) hehe.

Tonni said...

You DID get it! And to think you told me you were a slow study :) Should not worry about DH being stuck in the bedroom watching his football... it houses the better TV anyway!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I didn't do anything! Y'all are out there networking on your own!

Hooray for new friends, circulars and sock bags!!

Also, our page is really ugly. I should do something about that...

RheLynn said...

hmm.... still loving my dpsn ;o) But glad you are finding new ways you love to knit!