1. Repeat after me "no hurricanes, no hurricanes, no hurricanes" . Okay we just had to get that one out of the way first. We needed to created a bit of "good weather karma"! Last year, I swear it was due to all the good knitting vibes that we didn't have any hurricanes hit Florida.
2. If your pet(s) wrote a paragraph about you to describe you to us what would they say? (If you have no pets then just pretend you husband or best friend wrote it! This is a 3rd person writing exercise that is always fun.)
Hi, My name is Max (short for Max-A-Million, because that is about what my parents have spent on me since they got me 8 years ago!). I seem to have a lot of "health issues" but my mom and dad take EXCELLENT care of me.....she would even sell her yarn stash if she had to she loves me so much!!! In a nutshell....I am SPOILED!! They put MY comfort before theirs!! Ahhh....It's ALL ABOUT ME!!!! Hee! Hee!
Of course I sleep with my folks.....my mom especially is good about half hanging off the bed just so I can spread out and have all the space I want!!!
The only thing bad about my mom is that she won't let me in her yarn closet.....which I do NOT understand......she shares her yarn with other people!!!! There are zillions of skeins of yarn in there....she can't POSSIBLY use it all in this lifetime and WHY she won't let me have even ONE skein is beyond me considering how I get my way on everything else....but I am STUBBORN (as miniature Schnauzers are!)......and every time my mom leaves yarn out I of course think she has come to her senses and decided to share with me......but so far it hasn't worked out to my benefit!! BUT....I do get to model mom's creations from time to time....as humiliating as that can be!!! My mom also sneaks me extra biscuits in the day time and ALWAYS gives me one when we go to bed!!! I did have a kitty companion but she isn't with us anymore and I sure do miss her!!!! I'm trying to talk my folks into getting another one.....maybe it won't be too much longer!!!
3. What is your favorite hurricane snacks? Oh My....what's NOT to like??!! I think anything that would hold up during the lack of A/C and the high humidity. So far I haven't met a snack I DIDN'T like!! LOL!!! I do like chocolate......dark chocolate especially....but then you must have something salty....Ahhh....it's a viscious cycle.....all washed down with a Diet Coke of course!! LOL!!
4. Do sock patterns normally fit you "as written" or do you usually modify them for size in any way? WELL....I have a very wide foot and a narrow heel....BUT.....I have found that if I use yarn that has nylon in it then the typical 64 cast on, plain ribbed socks work fine on me. The yarns without nylon have been giving me fits lately in trying to figure out how make them work. I would say as long as it is 75 wool/25 nylon it should be fine!!
4a. What are your foot measurements, not just shoe size? Shoe size is an 8-8.5. When tracing off my foot and measuring the length is 10 inches X 4.25 inches wide, with 9 inches all the way around the ball of the foot.
5. What one city abroad would you visit and why if money was no object? Oh my...there are so many here in the states I would love to visit.....but I GUESS.....it would be the Fiji Islands
6. Do you wear socks all year round or just during the winter? Prefer tall or short? I wear socks all winter, night and day. In the Summer I will sometimes wear socks, mainly Winter wear. I generally make mine about 5.5 to 6" tall.
7. The last time the power was out during hurricane season (or bad weather of any kind) did you knit by lantern or were you lucky enough to knit to the humm of a generator? Or did you knit at all? If there is any kind of light I'll be knitting!!! We have a great fluorescent lantern that will light up a room and that is what I knit by.
8. Make a wish for your favorite sock yarn that you've already used once. What would it be? ? Dont be shy about listing an exact colorway or two if you'd like.
WELL.....I love STR, can NEVER go wrong with that one!! Other than that....as long as it contains 25% nylon to get over my big foot....I'm good!!! Surprise me!!
9. What is it about sock knitting that keeps you wanting to knit more and more socks? Oh the thousands of colors!!!! I love hand painted yarns......just nothing like them!!!!! You never know what the socks will look like when looking at a ball or skein of yarn....it's a mystery that unfolds as you knit the pattern!!! LOVE IT!!
10. Make a wish for a sock yarn that you are dying to try but haven't bought for yourself yet. (be specific,even colorway if you'd like) Claudia's Handpainted, Cider Moon, I love fall colors.
11. What size needles do you knit socks for yourself with the most? I use size 1 circulars from Knitpicks....I have about 6 sets!! If the yarn is a bit thicker I'll use their size 2's. I really like using circulars. These are the only circs I have used.
12. If you could only take 3 yarn related books and one previously knitted project that you love with you when you evacuated what would they be? How terrible to choose what to have to leave behind!! I think the Charlene Schurch Sensational Knitted Socks, Scarf Style and I have Interweave Favorite Socks on order and think without even seeing I would have to take it with me too!!
13. What knitting notion do you wish you had that you just keep putting off getting for yourself? Hmmm......I think a good pair of small, cute scissors would be nice!
14. What is your favorite tv show? Can't choose one, Grey's Anatomy, Medium, Friday Night Lights.
15. Do you want a lacey sock or a "solid fabric" sock from your hurricane sister? I have never knit anything other than just a K2,P2 rib or some variation on that....so I am open to any pattern since mine are generally of the "vanilla" flavor!! Surprise me!!
16. It's midnight and the power has been off for two days, its hot, and you have a craving for something sweet! What would it be? DEBBIE CAKE!!!
17. Tell us a story about any of your hurricane weather related experiences.
SEVERAL years ago......I am sorry that I can't remember which hurricane, but it was a very real threat to the central Alabama area......predictions were for 50+ mph winds with gusts even higher.....around here it was pretty much like the day before a predicted snowstorm.....MASS CHAOS......we gathered all the food supplies, flashlights, etc, gathered my sister and my husband's nephew and hunkered down to wait it out.....THANKFULLY, we weren't out of power very long and had no damage to our house.....but I WELL remember standing at the window listening to the winds increase and literally whistle....it was very strange.....it just had a "different" sound to it!.....by the next day everyone was tired of so much "together" time and everyone left.
18. What was the one thing you wish you had remembered to get last year for hurricane supplies that you swore you wouldn't forget this year? Hmmmm......I guess more snacks....because when bored we always "think" we are hungry.
19. What color sock would you like to recieve from your sock sister? (if you don't have a pref just say so otherwise give us a hint!) I think fall colors are my first choice, I do like bright colors too, I don't like neon colors or very light pastel colors.